Skip to main content

Chair Kickers and Queue Jumpers

I am one of the elite who is chosen to always sit in front of the chair kicker at the movies.   It is a great privilege that I don’t take lightly.

I start by subtly turning my head to see if there is really somebody behind me, because it is possible that the row of seats is a little unstable.

If there is, I hope that it’s just a once off settling in bump.   Sadly, by the third or fourth kick in the first ten minutes, the movie is no longer my main focus.   My husband is often kind enough to swap seats.   Now can he just not feel it, or do they stop kicking when they are facing the back of the head of a 6’3” man?

It happens on planes, too, and even in a financial reporting session recently.   My personal favourite is the person who is only able to stand up from his plane seat by leaning heavily on the back of mine, tilting me backwards while he raises himself into a standing position.   Sitting is an equally challenging process which requires both hands on the back of my seat, a sharp pull backwards and then a quick release.

Just to confirm, the seat does bounce!

I love both the movies and travelling, though I prefer the back row for obvious reasons. 

While on the subject of travelling, don’t you love the people who subtly edge into the side of the queue to board, particularly when there is a bus taking you to the plane?   Why?   Do they simply think that queuing is beneath them?   Or do they not notice the rest of us poor slobs following the rules?

Then there are the queue controllers.   Oh, they are a powerful lot.   If you have ever travelled to the US, and had to go through the customs there, they have the highly effective snake queues in place.   And what do the controllers do?   They override them, and send you to wait in little queues in front of each customs officer.   This means you can be at the front of the snake and still have to wait a long time, depending on which little queue they allocate you to.

 Why?   Snake queues work – ask anybody who shop at Woolies.

 Snake queues reduce that little discussed, but very common malady – queue querulousness.  (A close relation of road rage, it mostly manifests itself in muttered comments, and complaints to management).

So to all those chair kickers out there, if you see somebody gently turning their head to check if there is somebody behind them, tuck your feet under your chair.   And queue jumpers, do remember that getting there first doesn’t always mean you are ahead of the game, you might just be the crash test dummy….

Links and References
email:      tschroenn@accsys.co.za
twitter:   @TerylSchroenn


Note
Thank you for reading Teryl@Work.   Should you wish to use any of the material, please acknowledge this blog as the source


Popular posts from this blog

Resignation - keep building relationships

Resignation – avoid burning those bridges It has been a great pleasure working with a colleague like you. Now, you are off to your next big challenge! Good luck and farewell!
Isn’t that what we all want to hear when we leave?  We were appreciated and we will be missed.
The need for all parties to maintain professional conduct in the event of resignation is critical, particularly now when we are working within an unsettled socio-economic climate. Employees should avoid damaging relationships, and employers need to adopt a neutral approach and ensure that there are policies and processes that enable the separation to be objectively handled.  For example: ·A formal resignation letter is required·A formal acceptance of resignation is issued confirming any special conditions·An exit interview takes place·Handovers are planned and executed
Our HR team advise those who resign their position to adhere to a few golden rules. Failure to do so could harm whatever bonds have been formed at the workpla…

Favourite Words

Shambolic – it simply sounds better to me than chaotic.. Do lots of people have favourite words or just a few of us nerds? As everybody is starting to think holidays (or maybe you prefer to vacation), it seemed a good time for a different type of blog. Have you noticed how many words with pleasant associations sound more attractive than those that describe the negative. Watching a TV quiz show the other night made me wonder. The contestant hated bulbous and gusset! There have always been some words that appeal to me, triskaidekaphobia being one. I now know that I had the meaning wrong! I thought it meant fear of Friday the 13th, but it is simply a fear of the number 13, so how does paraskevidekatriaphobia grab you? That is the real word for fear of Friday the 13th. Love it! Now I prefer rural to bucolic, but Robert Beard (see below) selected the latter as one of his favourites. Effervescent is a gorgeous word, so descriptive and onomatopoeic while ethereal makes me think of gossamer and fairie…

What I learned from the snake queue...

The lesson of the snake queue
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it or Leave well enough alone.  But do we?  Oh no, we are always trying to improve on things, no matter how well they work.
Progress does come from constant improvement, but it needs to be an improvement!
Hence the lesson of the snake queue… I know that life isn’t always fair, I also don’t believe that everything happens for a reason (see below). However, the advent of the snake queue made me feel so happy.  I knew that, once I was in it, I would get served next.  I didn’t have to decide which shopping trolleys in front of me had more items, and pick a line accordingly, I simply joined at the rear and waited my turn. Those stores who have duplicate snakes facing each other do add a small element of stress in terms of which one to select, but I cope quite well with this one if I have my Kindle…. The same at airports, pharmacies and banks, such a fair system. Then, a colleague and I went to the USA and arrived at Washington Airport with…