Skip to main content

Drawing in the customer

Recently, I was in Istanbul for the first time.   Wandering around one of the many, fantastic street markets, I saw a display of the most luscious looking dates.

My son loves them, so I walked over.   Within moments, one of the men in the store came over, and started discussing dates with me and which would be the best choice.   He told me where he sources them, as well as some of his more interesting other merchandise.

He shared that he ships products internationally, and took me around the store to show me.  He insisted I tasted them, just the best pistachio nougat ever.   He slipped a few samples into my bag, and I added saffron to my purchases.

Then my family joined me in the store, and they were all offered nougat to taste, as well.   By this time, we were on first name terms.

On our way out, we walked through the adjoining carpet and silks store.   Silk scarves were on my shopping list, so I had a look.   It turns out he owned that store, too.   As we were buddies, I was given a very good price on the scarf (I think so, anyway, its certainly less than half of what I would have paid at home).

This man was a relationship builder of note.   He saw a willing customer, and he started to chat, he gave me his story, and asked mine.   He offered free gifts, lower prices and great products.   What a powerful combination.

He was warm, he was friendly and he made the sale.

There is a real effort to draw in customers to stores in both Turkey and Greece.  They have people on the pavements exhorting passers by to come in to their stores and restaurants.

My favourite was in Istanbul.   We were walking close to our hotel, window shopping and casually looking for a place to eat later.   The restaurant "persuader" offered us the world to come into his place.   An unbelievable choice of food was discussed, but we were reluctant to commit.

And he said " every restaurant you walk past is going to give you the same story, and some will be very nice, but why don't you just come to mine, and save yourselves the trouble of listening to everybody else"  He added the clincher of free apple tea and dessert (my favourite, sutlach).   In we went!

The service was fabulous, the decor was Turkish, the food was wonderful, and the free tea and dessert arrived with the addition of a portion of meltingly delicious baklava for each of us.

He persuaded, he promised, he helped us make our decision with a clear and logical argument, and the staff over delivered.

In any business, building relationships is where the journey starts, it continues with giving the customer more than they even knew they wanted.   For me, that was the baklava...



Links, References and Notes


email:      tschroenn@accsys.co.za
twitter:   @TerylSchroenn


Note

Thank you for reading Teryl@Work.   Should you wish to use any of the material, please acknowledge this blog as the source





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding the Right Wolf

Feeding the Right Wolf This Cherokee story resonated with me (see below).     Like many business people, I get caught up in managing details, instead of focusing on strategy and growth.   Measuring myself against the Good Wolf concept has become a way of thinking for me. Feeding the good wolf - focusing on the right stuff! In a previous article on this topic, I commented that the message is simple, the wolf you feed is the one that grows. The good wolf attributes in a business are where we ideally should spend our time, that good old 80 – 20 rule focusing on our   engaged employees, improving client experience and quality of product,   to name a few. Creating a Good Wolf Environment While we have many different tools – appraisals, customer and employee surveys – to try and understand the temperature and levels of entropy in our businesses – the truth is that it is really difficult to explain to people that they are not seen as feeding the good wolf.    Often the people

Sharing your last salary – re-enforcing the gender pay gap…

Sharing your last salary – re-enforcing the gender pay gap… The interview process is never easy.   Whether you are actively searching for a new position or being head hunted, selling yourself effectively can go against ingrained social habits. As a potential employer, there is significant risk in hiring the wrong people, too. So both sides have a lot to lose if the interview process is ineffective. While we frequently hear that people do not leave jobs because of money, very few candidates are looking to drop their salaries … Interviewers have a number of tools at their disposal enabling them to align the right candidate with the role on offer: ·        Psychometric testing ·        References ·        The face to face interview process ·        The CV / Resumé ·        Social media profiles However, the previous salary is a time tested way for the interviewer to measure against the skills and experience claimed in the CV. Why is there a risk that this re-en

It's all about the service... Gaining & Retaining Clients

Retaining and gaining customers has become increasingly challenging.  As customers we have abundant choice and it is so easy to comparative shop. We talk about great service We talk about the extra mile We talk about the attitude We talk about customer perception We talk about customer expectation We talk about meeting customer needs We talk about the tangible vs intangible We talk about the client experience So what makes a customer feel that they have received outstanding service?   What makes it a soft skill, rather than a science, is that we are all so different and people in services and sales need to read each situation and act accordingly. In a restaurant, if my chair is constantly bumped by the waitrons going past, no matter how great the food, my perception is negative.  My family don’t even notice the bumps.. A few years ago, I was lucky enough to visit Greece and Turkey. In Istanbul, we were wandering around one of the many fantastic street marke