Skip to main content
Outside work, unwinding does not always have to be mindful….
(This article was written in response to the LinkedIn February brief #OutsideWork)
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.”  J.M. Barrie
And, old faithful, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life
We aspire towards balanced lives, talk constantly about work/life balance (as if work were not life) and often make work sound like the grudge part of the day. 
I like to believe I have an integrated life, instead of a merely balanced one, with paid and unpaid sections.
There are those who write their own pay cheques, and, for them, balance and integration are even more difficult to achieve.  
The reality is that, for many people, their work is their life.   Even taking vacations cuts into their total absorption.
I am not like that, at all!
I love what I do for payment.
I also love doing the stuff that keeps me close to family and friends.
So lots of breakfast with friends, watching favourite TV programs with the family, setting aside date nights and, of course, book club.
I am starting to forgive myself for being the kind of person that relaxes without purpose.
  • I am not always trying to get fitter when I go for a walk, even if I should;
  • I am not always trying to expand my mind when watching TV, although people’s intimate home life reality shows are when I hit the change channel button quickly;
  • When I do a jigsaw puzzle, it’s going to be broken up within days, and handed over to somebody else, so no purpose, other than to pass the time enjoyably;
  • Food is not fuel, it is a sensual pleasure, not to be partaken on airplanes, unless desperate;
  • When I read, it’s because I need to, and often the only purpose is to chill and enjoy the book.
Sometimes, it’s just because…….
So my biggest balance problem is hitting the great divide between work, fun and leisure with purpose.
Reading transports me.   My husband maintains that if there wasn’t a book or magazine, a cereal box will do…
I read the classics years ago, and still dip in now and then, but love Science Fiction, Fantasy, Thrillers and beautifully written novels.

I do accept that I should set myself some #OutsideWork purposeful objectives.
  • Walking being one. My husband is totally committed to at least 5 dog walks per day.  We have two gorgeous Rhodesian Ridgebacks and I know I should participate more regularly. I love it when I do.  I do go at least once a week, and keep promising myself I will do more.
  • More travelling - I love to travel, particularly because of the amount of guilt free reading time there is on any flight. I am polite to my seat companions, but by the time I take out my Kindle, magazine and paperback, and place them within easy reach, they hopefully realise that conversation is going to be limited.   The magazine and paperback are for take off and landing, as I do not want the responsibility of interfering with any of the mysterious workings of the plane.
  • More mentorship and coaching, I gain as much, if not more, than I give and as a woman in a leadership role, I would like to expand this side of my life
  • More writing – such fun, both the writing and the research, as well as time spent thinking about past experience and how to share it.
And then I am going to continue to enjoy my purpose free, guilt free time………..

#OutsideWork
“This is the real secret of life -- to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” 
― Alan W. Watts
“When he worked, he really worked. But when he played, he really PLAYED.” 
― Dr. Seuss
Links, References and Notes

Accsys provides people management solutions ie Payroll, Human Resources (HR), Time and Attendance as well as Access Control/Visitor Management.
The company develops, implements, trains and services our solutions.  We provide readers, turnstiles, booms and CCTV.
We run both on premise and in the cloud, as well as mobile options for ESS.  Recruitment, online education and Outsourcing are part of our offering, too.
http://www.accsys.co.za/accsys-peopleplace-talent-management
email:      tschroenn@accsys.co.za
twitter:   @TerylSchroenn
Note:   Thank you for reading Teryl@Work.   Should you wish to use any of the material, please acknowledge this blog as the source.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding the Right Wolf

Feeding the Right Wolf This Cherokee story resonated with me (see below).     Like many business people, I get caught up in managing details, instead of focusing on strategy and growth.   Measuring myself against the Good Wolf concept has become a way of thinking for me. Feeding the good wolf - focusing on the right stuff! In a previous article on this topic, I commented that the message is simple, the wolf you feed is the one that grows. The good wolf attributes in a business are where we ideally should spend our time, that good old 80 – 20 rule focusing on our   engaged employees, improving client experience and quality of product,   to name a few. Creating a Good Wolf Environment While we have many different tools – appraisals, customer and employee surveys – to try and understand the temperature and levels of entropy in our businesses – the truth is that it is really difficult to explain to people that they are not seen as feeding the good wolf.    Often the people

Sharing your last salary – re-enforcing the gender pay gap…

Sharing your last salary – re-enforcing the gender pay gap… The interview process is never easy.   Whether you are actively searching for a new position or being head hunted, selling yourself effectively can go against ingrained social habits. As a potential employer, there is significant risk in hiring the wrong people, too. So both sides have a lot to lose if the interview process is ineffective. While we frequently hear that people do not leave jobs because of money, very few candidates are looking to drop their salaries … Interviewers have a number of tools at their disposal enabling them to align the right candidate with the role on offer: ·        Psychometric testing ·        References ·        The face to face interview process ·        The CV / Resumé ·        Social media profiles However, the previous salary is a time tested way for the interviewer to measure against the skills and experience claimed in the CV. Why is there a risk that this re-en

It's all about the service... Gaining & Retaining Clients

Retaining and gaining customers has become increasingly challenging.  As customers we have abundant choice and it is so easy to comparative shop. We talk about great service We talk about the extra mile We talk about the attitude We talk about customer perception We talk about customer expectation We talk about meeting customer needs We talk about the tangible vs intangible We talk about the client experience So what makes a customer feel that they have received outstanding service?   What makes it a soft skill, rather than a science, is that we are all so different and people in services and sales need to read each situation and act accordingly. In a restaurant, if my chair is constantly bumped by the waitrons going past, no matter how great the food, my perception is negative.  My family don’t even notice the bumps.. A few years ago, I was lucky enough to visit Greece and Turkey. In Istanbul, we were wandering around one of the many fantastic street marke