Skip to main content

Procrastination or Carpe Diem?

Like many people, I constantly feel guilty about procrastinating.   I make long lists of things to do, and feel extremely virtuous if I cross any off.

When I started writing this article I was focusing on reducing the guilt, while improving the flow of work and personal projects, as well as still managing to have genuine chill time.

Then, I remembered a Robert Benchley article which I had read years and years ago, at school, (so really a long time ago).   It was called How to Get Things done, so I googled it (I do love Google, I feel I am achieving things when I do research) and reread it.  Just delightful.  It had to be shared, and so I did that on LinkedIn.

Back to my article on procrastination, realized it had turned into an article about decision making, and so I published it.  

The following day, I returned to my article on procrastination and, what a surprise, noted that I was a living case study for procrastination, as well as how to get things done the Robert Benchley way, because I published the Decisions article and had completed a whole lot of other pressing items, without completing my original task.

I don’t want to make excuses for the way I handle administration, although it is a strongly held belief that work should be enjoyable.    Life is about compromise, so I have developed my own Time Management model and it includes a reward system.

If I do something necessary that I really don’t enjoy, I give myself a “pick me up” by immediately handling something creative and interesting.   I also make sure that my Things to Do list has a few quick wins in it, because task completion energises me.  
 
I think it was Ellen de Generis who said procrastination should be fun.   We do spend a lot of our lives trying to be worthy citizens and chill guilt has insidiously crept in.

We seem to have turned leisure into work, too, even a Sunday afternoon stroll has to have a purpose! 
 
So I am going to make a list of Things Not To Do and tick it off daily.   This will allow me to enjoy all the things I am doing instead of the things I should not be doing. 

And if that doesn’t make sense, maybe it shouldn’t…..

Links, References and Notes

Business Connexion:Accsys
email:      tschroenn@accsys.co.za
twitter:   @TerylSchroenn
Note

Thank you for reading Teryl@Work.   Should you wish to use any of the material, please acknowledge this blog as the source

Popular posts from this blog

Resignation - keep building relationships

Resignation – avoid burning those bridges It has been a great pleasure working with a colleague like you. Now, you are off to your next big challenge! Good luck and farewell!
Isn’t that what we all want to hear when we leave?  We were appreciated and we will be missed.
The need for all parties to maintain professional conduct in the event of resignation is critical, particularly now when we are working within an unsettled socio-economic climate. Employees should avoid damaging relationships, and employers need to adopt a neutral approach and ensure that there are policies and processes that enable the separation to be objectively handled.  For example: ·A formal resignation letter is required·A formal acceptance of resignation is issued confirming any special conditions·An exit interview takes place·Handovers are planned and executed
Our HR team advise those who resign their position to adhere to a few golden rules. Failure to do so could harm whatever bonds have been formed at the workpla…

It's Not Your Fault, But..

It’s Not Your Fault, But…
Its’s not mine, either. When something goes wrong, whether at work or home, most people immediately start casting around for somebody to blame. Over the weekend, I was reading and drinking a cup of coffee which was perched on the arm of the couch.  I do this daily, and have never spilled it.   My daughter came into the room, I put my reader down next to me and we started chatting.  A little later, I picked the reader up, turned to my coffee, and knocked it over.  Something in my expression caused her to ask whether it was her fault.  Of course, it wasn’t, but a mean, small part of me was thinking, well, no, but if you hadn’t come in the room…  And she was kind enough to help me clear it up!
If that lamp post wasn’t there If that faster person wasn’t in the race If the traffic light hadn’t turned red at just that moment If we hadn’t hired Joe, I would have got the promotion If, if, if….. We are very quick to accept the “if” when it is about us, and much slower to do so…

It's Not My Job

It’s Not My Job
Assuming that there are reasons for saying this: 1.It’s not your job and is totally is outside of your skill set 2.It’s not in your KPIs and you don’t want to do it 3.You believe you are being exploited and want to draw a line as to what you will and won’t do. Outside your skill set This is reasonable and there could be many scenarios where this is appropriate
·Where there is a safety or special licence requirement to do the job eg driving a forklift truck
·Where there is a formal qualification like giving legal advice
·Where additional qualifications are required as in a medical doctor without surgical qualifications or experience


Not in my KPIs This response could be perceived as a lot more negative, not to mention career limiting. If there is a good reason why you can’t step outside your pure job description, share that immediately.  ·“I would love to be able to help, however, I need to complete this project by 5 pm today and I am out of the office all day tomorrow at our larg…