Skip to main content

CEO or Chief Bottle Washer?

Yes, women are managing companies but do we still have our egos in domesticity?   Readers, I have to admit I love to cook.

Yes, I am a pressure cook (not to be confused with a pressure cooker, which I have never owned.   I nearly won one last year, but the alternative prize was a weekend away, and under serious pressure from my husband, chose the latter.  It was nice to spend a free weekend in the Midlands, but it didn’t save the enormous amounts of cooking time that I hear a pressure cooker does…)

Back to being a pressure cook – it is a two part definition:

I love to explore new recipes for dinner parties (not that they happen that often any more) and have a definite methodology – 3 course dinner = 1 experiment and 2 tried and tested successful courses.   Sometimes the experiment is more successful that the tried and tested, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

The second is that I love to throw things together, left overs, combinations of recipes, wrap fillings and create a meal in about 20 minutes that leaves people gasping for more!   Of course, it could be more Alka Selzer, but generally those thrown together meals do work quite well.

Our family adds another skill set to home management, pressure tidy uppers.  This is an area where my husband, daughter and I are extremely proficient, my son not so much.  If we know that we are having guests, we are able to turn our scruffy Roman ruin, (house and garden) into a “professionally distressed” look in around 2 hours.  This includes candles, throws, flowers, leaf blowers, great smells emanating from the kitchen (pressure cooking at its apex) and the odd closed door, behind which lurks a multitude of “tidied” items.

I know that the average male executive does not have the same cooking and cleaning issues, but surely a knowledge, and cellar, of fine wine are important, not to mention a high level of braai skill.

We might not all be housewives, but our homes are still a part of our identity, and whether we know the best caterer, or have access to the ultimate home industry store,  there is still a very real expectation that CEO or not, you will need to be a domestic diva every now and then.

I have to admit that I glued school badges to blazers instead of carefully sewing them on, that I cannot wash a glass and make it sparkle, nor make a bed that you can bounce a coin off.

So, in a world where 22.2% of parliamentary positions are held by women, and that is progress, we are not yet in a world where home, business and politics are shared equally.  

I might not believe that my ego is in my cooking (maybe just a little), but I do think that our many gender based roles and perceptions are slowly blurring around the edges……
  

Links, References and Notes

http://www.accsys.co.za/payroll-qualification

Note

Thank you for reading Teryl@Work.   Should you wish to use any of the material, please acknowledge this blog as the source

email:      tschroenn@accsys.co.za

twitter:   @TerylSchroenn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding the Right Wolf

Feeding the Right Wolf This Cherokee story resonated with me (see below).     Like many business people, I get caught up in managing details, instead of focusing on strategy and growth.   Measuring myself against the Good Wolf concept has become a way of thinking for me. Feeding the good wolf - focusing on the right stuff! In a previous article on this topic, I commented that the message is simple, the wolf you feed is the one that grows. The good wolf attributes in a business are where we ideally should spend our time, that good old 80 – 20 rule focusing on our   engaged employees, improving client experience and quality of product,   to name a few. Creating a Good Wolf Environment While we have many different tools – appraisals, customer and employee surveys – to try and understand the temperature and levels of entropy in our businesses – the truth is that it is really difficult to explain to people that they are not seen as feeding the good wo...

Its all about the numbers - retirement age

Weight, height, age, dress size, shoe size, all numbers that we (and the media) use to define people. I was fascinated by an article from the Leicester Mercury where the age of each witness to a bus crash in January were carefully listed. Sue Kellett, 56, whose front garden is bordered by the wall, was one of the first at the scene. Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Bus-driver-airlifted-hospital-collision-tractor/story-20512289-detail/story.html#ixzz31lXUuyZg Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Bus-driver-airlifted-hospital-collision-tractor/story-20512289-detail/story.html#9cHShVptF30lJw4X.99 Sue Kellett, 56, whose front garden is bordered by the wall, was one of the first at the scene. Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Bus-driver-airlifted-hospital-collision-tractor/story-20512289-detail/story.html#ixzz31lXUuyZg Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Bus-driver-airlifted-hospital-collision-tractor/story-20512289-detail/story.htm...

Is the employee toxic or simply disengaged?

Is the employee toxic or simply disengaged?  And how to tell? Dissecting Employee Behaviour We spend hours of management time dissecting employee behaviour to ensure that not only is each employee delivering to a minimum expectation, he or she is not actively undermining the effectiveness of the business. We design KPAs (or KPIs, or whatever we want to call them), we run regular appraisals, we discuss career paths and succession plans, and  as long as toxic employees are delivering on their job description, we keep them! It’s only after they leave, when you hear the collective deep breath of relief from colleagues and management, that you can be absolutely sure of the negative impact. Underperformance vs Undermining My view has changed – rather an underperformer, than an underminer. So what to do? Once you have firmly established that undermining is the problem, the first step is to tell them that you are onto them! Never an easy task, because very few p...